Monday, July 07, 2008

Before the World there were Dungeon Masters

In the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) role-playing game, the Dungeon Master (abbreviated as DM) is a selected participant who describes the game to the other players. In effect, the Dungeon Master creates the entire world and allows the players (the DM is usually not described as a player) to interact with that world. -Wikipedia

Now the particular DM sitting across from me on the train this morning was telling his young "dwarf" friend about the 30 guys that were coming over to a massive dice rolling fest that was going down at his place this weekend and how he wished he had an old Gauntlet arcade machine. He then began to reminisce about playing gauntlet and how the pansy archer would always hide on the safe side and shoot through the cracks while the warrior got wailed on.

I found the whole conversation very amusing and wished I could laugh at them with the lady next to me. It was in this moment that I realized she wouldn't think it amusing, because she had never played D&D or gone to all night dice roller. She probably had never even set foot in and arcade. It was then that I knew it was only amusing because I was the guy sitting across from me on the train.

As I got off the train I saw a man wearing a "neo" trench with a big gold chain around his neck with a golden cross. He's pale white skin was a sure sign and as he passed me I thought "Level 15 Cleric".

"I know this because Tyler know this."

2 comments:

Lacey said...

umm...you play D&D??...where did I put those papers that I had my lawyer send over...

Mars said...

Geez. My blog list thingy is messed up I guess, cause I didn't even know you updated this....

Well written. I didn't know you were so...clever....

How's that working out for you?